Bariloche is, first and foremost, the base for Argentina’s largest and most chic skiing resort. However, the village of Bariloche itself is some distance below the lifts, resting amongst magnificent pine forests, and is excellent for those wishing to explore the stunning lakes in the region.
In Bariloche, the Museum of Patagonia is interesting and informative with regards to the region and the Mapuchi indians who used to live in the area, while the gothic Cathedral, on the banks of lake Nahuel Huapi, is picturesque to say the least.
The slopes are about a 30 minute bus journey above Bariloche with a decent ski area and a good network of lifts. The most snow tends to fall from late May to early August, though the cable car operates all year round as the view from the top is superb, looking down over the Andean lakes.
It’s possible to get to these lakes by car or by bus and then to explore the surrounding area by foot. Mountain streams run down through the forests to these calm, majestic lakes whose banks have remained practically untouched. Explore the lakes themselves either as part of a boat trip or in a canoe or a catamaran.
Other attractions in the region of Bariloche include the beautiful mountain town of San Martin de los Andes and the commune of El Bolsón, popular with the young Argentines on the way to the slopes.
Bariloche is also famous for its excellent chocolate, a legacy of the village’s Alpine community, and is also a good place to buy craftwork.
Nightlife and Eating Out
The restaurants in Bariloche tend to be good value and are often located in wonderful settings. A wide range of cuisines is on offer. Best are the town’s traditional mountain restaurants where you can eat excellent trout, deer, wild boar or fondue.
Bariloche is a mecca for Argentine high school leavers. As a result it comes to life at night with heady bars and steamy nightclubs.
The airport is a 15 minute drive out of town and has a bus service. Flights arrive from a number of Argentine destinations, including Buenos Aires, Neuquen and Puerto Mont in Chile.
Popular car hire locations in Argentina
All car hire locations in Argentina
- Almirante Marco Andres Zar Airport
- Aviador C. Campos Airport
- Bahía Blanca
- Belén De Escobar
- Brigadier Antonio Parodi Airport
- Brigadier Mayor D Cesar Raul Ojeda Airport
- Buenos Aires
- Capitan V A Almonacid Airport
- Carmen De Patagones Airport
- Cataratas Del Iguazú International Airport
- Clorinda Airport
- Comandante Espora Airport
- Comodoro Rivadavia
- Coronel Martínez De Hoz
- Corrientes Airport
- Domingo Faustino Sarmiento Airport
- El Calafate
- El Calafate Airport
- El Plumerillo Airport
- El Tehuelche Airport
- Formosa Airport
- General E. Mosconi Airport
- General Urquiza Airport
- Gobernador Castello Airport
- Gobernador Horacio Guzman International Airport
- Hermes Quijada International Airport
- Ingeniero Ambrosio Taravella Airport
- Islas Malvinas Airport
- Jorge Newbery Airpark Airport
- La Plata
- La Rioja
- Lago Argentino Airport
- Libertador Gral D Jose De San Martin Airport
- Malvinas Argentinas Airport
- Mar Del Plata
- Martin Miguel De Guemes International Airport
- Ministro Pistarini International Airport
- Palermo Soho
- Piloto Civil N. Fernández Airport
- Presidente Peron Airport
- Puerto Iguazú
- Puerto Madryn
- Resistencia International Airport
- Río Gallegos
- Río Grande
- San Carlos De Bariloche
- San Carlos De Bariloche Airport
- San Juan
- San Luis
- San Martín
- San Martín De Los Andes
- San Miguel De Tucumán
- San Rafael
- San Salvador De Jujuy
- Santa Fe De La Vera Cruz
- Santa Rosa Airport
- Sauce Viejo Airport
- Suboficial Ay Santiago Germano Airport
- Teniente Benjamin Matienzo Airport
- Vicecomodoro Angel D. La Paz Aragonés Airport
- Villa Gesell Airport
- Ástor Piazzola International Airport